About this blog

I am terrible at using chopsticks, no matter who shows me, and no matter how hard I try. I was born left-handed but the nuns beat me until I learned to write with my right hand, and anything requiring a lot of dexterity remains a challenge. Maybe months and months of living in Taiwan will help me get it... or I will lose lots of weight and probably will accidentally leave behind a few forks. It's all good.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First meal in the HTC HQ Cafeteria

During my day of final interviews, my new manager, Lillian, kindly took me to lunch in the company cafeteria. I embarrassed myself by hunting for a fork; Lillian said she would get me one and in the end, had to go all the way out to the lobby to Starbucks to get me one! I will definitely be bringing my own in the future....


Choices included a tofu bar (called "Natural Alternative"), a noodle-soup station, an uninspired cold salad bar, and a hot buffet line with probably 10 choices (you take 2-3 side dishes, 1 main, miso soup, and brown or white rice).


We chose the hot buffet, and the food I liked best was the duck-blood pate with sour squash... I can't explain that, but it was actually delicious with brown rice. The sauteed pork just sucked by comparison, and I actually got up for a second helping of the duck. LOL


Lillian and I had a great conversation, ranging from our families, to travel, to fruit we like (I tried fresh guava for the first time, and that got us started there), and a little bit about food. She confessed to not much liking the cafeteria where we were eating because it gets very boring; I can see that. :-)


I got a real kick out of the signage where you dropped off your dishes. There were three lines: Buffet Persuasion, Noodle Persuasion, and Other Persuasion.


UTENSIL(s): chopsticks from cafeteria (terrible technique), plastic fork from Starbucks

No comments:

Post a Comment